Saturday, November 2, 2013

Happy Halloween

Happy Halloween


Kam 2005 in the NICU on Halloween 7  weeks old and 35  weeks gestational age.

 
 
Kate 2013 in the NICU at 10 weeks old and 35 weeks gestational age.

I looked many places to find a Halloween costume for Kate and there weren't many options available.  I even looked online and looked through dog costumes that might work.  Finally, I decided to go look through Kam's memorabilia box and see if I could find what he had worn.  I was so excited to find this little pumpkin outfit.  I thought it was fitting that they both wore it for Halloween in the NICU. 

Kate weighs 4.8 lbs. today.  She has done amazing with her feedings this week!  When I called the NICU on Friday morning to find out how she had done throughout the night- the nurse told me how awesome Kate was and said I had better start preparing for her to come home.  She would be on her way before we knew it!  She said we need to bring the car-seat up to make sure it will work for Kate and it follows the regulations, we also have to sign up for and take the CPR class.  I was so excited we were even having this discussion- I wanted to jump up and down on my bed:)  She should be home by or even before Thanksgiving!!  Yesterday, when the nurse practitioner called she said that she doesn't think Kate has realized she's a preemie- she thinks she can do all that a normal baby does.  She is doing so good on her feedings it's crazy!  Yesterday, Kate woke up and cued for 6 of the 8 feedings and she ate 4 full feedings and 2 half feedings.  Today though- Kate has been pretty tired.  I think she worked so hard yesterday she wore herself out. 
 
(She is required to eat 8 times a day of 38 mils per feeding.)
 
Monday, Oct. 28th: 1pm- 20 mil bottle (1st day) 7% of feedings
Tuesday: 1pm- 20 mil, 7pm-11 mil  10% of feedings
Wednesday: 7am-20 mil, 4pm-40 mil, 10pm-20 mil  26% of feedings 
Thursday: 1am-26 mil, 10am-20 mil, 1pm-27 mil, 7pm-32 mil, 10pm-20 mil  41% of feedings
Friday: 4am-20 mil, 7am-44 mil, 10am-40 mil, 1pm-38 mil, 4pm-34 mil, 7pm-17 mil  63% of feedings 
 
----I'm may or may not be a little obsessed with numbers.----
 
On Kate's first feeding on last Monday, one of the OTs-Annie, recommended putting 1 mil bananas for every 10 mil of milk to thicken the milk.  This slows down the flow so that Kate has time to process the suck, swallow, and breathe.  It really made a difference to do that.  Tonight Annie recommended to change it to 2 mil/10 mil of milk.  This is what they did for the 7pm feeding that she took 22 mils for.  The earlier feedings she only took small amounts before she started showing signs of stress.  She was drooling a lot and her respiratory rate jumped to the 80/90s.  When she shows stopping cues they stop the feeding and gavage feed her.  The nurse felt like thickening the milk with the banana just a bit more helped her to pace better and slow the work load down. 
 
Kennadi came down with the tummy flu and woke up puking on Halloween (Thursday).  We spent the day together.  I didn't dare go see Kate on Friday, because I didn't know if I was contagious and would pass it on to Kate.  I'm glad I didn't though because I woke up sick this morning with it.  Today was Kam's baptism so all the family came.  It was a great day- and I felt good after the morning hours, but still couldn't go see Kate.  My mom, and sister- in-laws went to visit her.  3 days- too long, I can't wait to go see her tomorrow as long as I'm feeling good!  crossing my fingers and toes.....
 
              




No comments:

Post a Comment